Department: Marketing and Communications - Public Relations
Reports To: Manager of Public Relations
Employment Status: Regular/Full-time
To coordinate media relations and publicity activities for the High Museum of Art (HMA), exhibitions and programs. Additionally, manage key communications elements for the High’s external website.
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. with some evenings and weekends as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
· Work with Manager to develop strategies and tactics that help position the High Museum locally, regionally and nationally
· Work with HMA departments to develop story ideas, publicity materials and determine annual and ongoing PR needs
· Assist Manager in writing timelines and PR strategies for specific exhibitions/projects
· Develop story ideas, pitch media, and book interviews
· Serve as one of the High’s main media contacts, organizing/fulfilling daily media requests and needs
· Attend and/or organize meetings to gather information for coordination of publicity
· Call upon lending organizations, partners and curatorial departments for background materials for preparation of media materials
· Undertake projects as assigned, including inbound and outbound media tours, media event planning, development of alliances with arts groups and businesses
· Maintain relationships with media and follow media trends and reporting
· Manage distribution of e-mail correspondence with media and key online bloggers
· Manage and update media contacts database and media kit files
· Maintain press clip archives
· Responsible for content in online Newsroom
· Assist with posting website content when needed
· Coordinate content cross-departmentally for special exhibition pages online and dedicated micro sites
· Represent museum at community functions and events
· Coordinate other projects as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree in English, Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or other relevant field
· Minimum of two years of experience in public relations, journalism/broadcasting or publishing
· Experience in pitching stories to the media
· Experience in writing for the web
· Familiarity with HTML and content management systems for websites
Skills and Abilities:
· Impeccable writing and strong verbal communication skills
· Ability to summarize complex scholarly ideas and materials for general readers, editors and reporters is required
· Strong organizational and planning skills
· Knowledge of local, regional and arts media
· Strong research skills
· Ability to set priorities and solve practical problems with minimal supervision
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Some standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and light lifting (at least 10 pounds) is needed.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by clicking here to apply