Associate Front of House Manager (Regular/Full-time)
Reports To: Front of House & Patron Experience Manager
Employment Status: Regular/Full-time
The Alliance Theatre is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of our work, including play selection, casting, marketing and public relations efforts, education programs, recruitment of staff and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Directors.
The Alliance Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, class, religion, country of origin, political belief, (dis)ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any factor protected by law. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
The Associate Front of House Manager works with the Front of House & Patron Experience Manager to support the Alliance Theatre’s patron-facing initiatives, ensuring best-in-class patron experiences. As a first point of contact for many Alliance patrons, the Associate Front of House Manager is responsible for creating a welcoming and safe environment for guests that reflects the mission, vision, and values of the Alliance Theatre. The Associate Front of House Manager is a member of the Marketing Department and works with Stage Management, Woodruff Arts Center (WAC) Special Events, WAC Facilities, WAC Box Office, and volunteer ushers. The Alliance Theatre produces approximately 12 shows annually, including shows on the 650-seat Coca-Cola Stage, the 200-seat Hertz Stage, and the 350-seat Rich Theatre.
• Varies; Monday-Friday, 9AM-6PM, with additional hours and days regularly
• Must be available to work nights, weekends and early mornings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Provide best-in-class customer service and enhance customer relations for all Alliance Theatre patrons.
• Maintain safety and security of front-of-the-house for all Alliance Theatre programming, including Alliance Stage Series, Hertz Stage Series, Family Series, and special events.
• Keep up to date on Woodruff Arts Center scheduling and security procedures and assist with evacuations and security measures in the event of an emergency.
• Serve as House Manager for public performances, including but not limited to first preview, Opening Night, and other performances/special events as scheduled.
• Ensure the smooth and orderly movement of all patrons to their correct seats, and problem-solve in the moment as necessary.
• Coordinate with box office, group services, and subscription staff in solving seating discrepancies to ensure patron satisfaction.
• Write and distribute house management performance reports and follow up as needed.
• Recruit, train, schedule, motivate, and manage staff house managers and volunteer ushers on a season-long and per-performance basis.
• Maintain volunteer usher database in Tessitura.
• Provide and manage communications with volunteer usher corps, including daily/weekly maintenance of phone hotline, website, email, faxes, and postal mailings. Provide regular feedback to Front of House & Patron Experience Manager on any needs and concerns.
• Understand and communicate effectively the Alliance’s mission to “expand hearts and minds, onstage and off.”
Additional responsibilities include:
• Provide general performance support for special events and activities, including administering patron surveys, supporting special events, audience development events, and education programs.
• Provide scheduling assistance to Woodruff Arts Center and Alliance Theatre staff by coordinating their calendars and attending weekly WAC Calendar meetings.
• Attend administrative and volunteer meetings to maintain knowledge of events occurring at the Theatre.
• Provide programs and program stuffers to volunteer ushers for distribution to patrons (may require heavy lifting).
The Associate Front of House Manager supervises the following:
• Part-Time House Managers
• Volunteer Ushers
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
• Commensurate experience in patron services and/or house management, preferably for a theatre or performing arts venue.
• Outward-facing customer service experience, preferably in an arts environment.
• Experience managing staff and volunteers preferred.
• Knowledge of basic office machines.
• Computer skills essential to this position: MS Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
• Experience with Wufoo or other online form system is preferred.
• Experience with Tessitura CRM is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent communications and customer service skills with demonstrated ability to resolve customer issues and conflicts in a positive, pleasant, and professional manner.
• Ability to balance many responsibilities in a calm and efficient manner, and to anticipate and solve problems with minimal supervision.
• Ability to handle several tasks simultaneously and work well under pressure.
• Detail-oriented and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Some standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and light lifting (at least 20 pounds) is needed.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.