Merchandise Handler (Part-time/Temporary)
Department: Retail Operations
Reports To: Retail Shop Manager
FLSA: Non – Exempt
Employment Status: Temporary/Part-Time
The Merchandise Handler assists with the receiving process of merchandise for the museum shops. He/she helps to ensure that all merchandise is accurately priced and is floor ready. He/she will also play a key role as sales support to the sales associate and must understand the priorities of stocking and maintaining the professional standards of the museum shops.
Must be available to complete temporary assignment beginning October 21,2019 through March 8,2020. Work 20 – 30 hours per week based on scheduled shift. Work assigned shifts which includes exhibition opening and closing events, nights, weekends, extended hours, special events and holiday season. Flexibility required for schedule changes based on special events and extended hours.
Days and Hours: Wednesday (9am-6pm), Thursday (9am-6pm), Friday (9am- 6pm), Saturday (9am- 5pm), Sunday (11am-5pm)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Perform duties associated with receiving and processing in coming merchandise which includes counting large quantities and pricing.
• Maintain and stock the sales floor, including sales counter and Kusama Pop-Up Shop.
• Assist with changing visual displays as needed.
• Maintain and awareness of current product in storage area.
• Interact and engage with visitors while on the sales floor.
• Demonstrate a fundamental knowledge of NCR Counterpoint POS System.
• Assist with maintaining stockrooms, assist with housekeeping tasks in the shops, to include sweeping floors, dusting, breakdown and dispose of large boxes and wooden skids.
• Adhere to and promote established safety procedures.
• Maintain a current knowledge about museum permanent collection, exhibitions and public programs.
• Provide excellent customer service by exhibiting a positive attitude and enthusiasm toward the job and organization to both external and internal customers in all forms of communication.
• Promote a strong sense of teamwork by working together effectively, respectfully and efficiently with all sales associates, staff and management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
• Stock, Distribution Center or One-year previous retail experience preferred. Some knowledge of art history desired.
Skills and Abilities:
• Basic math skills.
• Organization and time management skills.
• Good reading, written and verbal language skills. Bilingual helpful.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to stand during 4 – 8 hr. shifts.
• Some standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and light lifting (at least 50 pounds) is needed.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Work effectively in a fast pace environment