Museum Shop Sales Associate (Temporary/Part-time)
DEPARTMENT: Operations – Retail Operations
REPORTS TO: Manager of Museum Shop
Provide customer assistance that promotes the shop as an extension of the museum experience.
• This is a part-time position, 20-30 hours per week
• Tuesday-Sunday, between the hours of 9am-5pm shift, 11am – 5pm shift, and 12pm-8pm shift.
• Must have open availability and flexibility to work weekends, nights, special events and exhibition openings and closings to accommodate Museum extended hours.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Understand the mission statements of both the High Museum of Art and the Retail Operations Department in order to enhance the visitor’s museum experience while helping generate revenue for the museum.
• Provide excellent customer service.
• Perform accurate sales transactions along with opening and closing functions, using the Retail Management System (RMS).
• Assist with merchandising, restocking, cleaning shops and storage areas.
• Assist with annual inventory of shops and storage areas.
• Open availability and flexibility to work weekends, nights, special events and exhibition openings and closings to accommodate Museum extended hours.
• Follow department dress code.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
• High School Diploma.
• At least two years of retail experience.
• Knowledge of Art History desired.
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate effectively with visitors, members, staff, and volunteers.
• Ability to compute rates and percentages.
• Basic ability to balance cash a register.
• Ability to solve practical problems and interpret written and verbal instructions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Some standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and light lifting (at least 10 pounds) is needed.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.