Public Relations Specialist (Regular/Full-time)
Department: Communications – Public Relations
Reports To: Manager of Public Relations
Employment Status: Regular/Full-time
Coordinates media relations and publicity activities to promote the High Museum of Art and its programs, exhibitions and events to drive attendance and attract new audiences.
• Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm, with some evenings and weekends required as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Work with Manager to develop strategies and tactics that help position the High Museum locally, regionally and nationally.
• Work with HMA departments to develop story ideas, publicity materials and determine annual and ongoing PR needs
• Assist Manager in writing timelines and PR strategies for specific exhibitions/projects
• Develop story ideas, write press releases, pitch media, and book interviews
• Serve as one of the High’s main media contacts, organizing/fulfilling daily media requests and needs
• Attend and/or organize meetings to gather information for coordination of publicity
• Call upon lending organizations, partners and curatorial departments for background materials for preparation of media materials
• Undertake projects as assigned, including inbound and outbound media tours, media event planning, development of alliances with arts groups and businesses
• Maintain relationships with media and follow media trends and reporting
• Assist in management and execution of social media influencer program
• Manage distribution of e-mail correspondence with media
• Manage and update media contacts database and media kit files
• Maintain press clip archives
• Responsible for content in online Press Room
• Assist with posting website/social media content when needed
• Coordinate content cross-departmentally for special exhibition pages online and dedicated micro sites
• Represent museum at community functions and events
• Other projects as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or other relevant field
• Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in public relations or journalism
• Experience in pitching stories to the media
• Experience in writing for the web
• Familiarity with HTML and content management systems for e-mail/websites
Skills and Abilities:
• Impeccable writing and strong verbal communication skills
• Ability to summarize complex scholarly ideas and materials for general readers, editors and reporters is required.
• Knowledge of AP Style
• Strong organizational and planning skills
• Knowledge of local, regional and arts media
• Strong research skills
• Ability to set priorities and solve practical problems with minimal supervision
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Some standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and light lifting (at least 10 pounds) is needed.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.