Stage Operations Chief (Seasonal/Full-time)
Reports To: Stage Operations Manager
Employment Status: Seasonal/Full-time
The Alliance Theatre is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of our work, including play selection, casting, marketing and public relations efforts, education programs, recruitment of staff and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Directors.
The Alliance Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, class, religion, country of origin, political belief, (dis)ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any factor protected by law. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
The Stage Operations Crew Chief works with the Stage Operations Manager and the Stage Operations Assistant Manager to ensure the smooth operation of backstage scenic elements during Alliance Theatre productions. The Stage Operations Crew Chief also supervises the stage operations run crew during all productions. The Alliance Theatre produces 12 shows annually, including LORT B and D stages, as well as Theatre for Young Audiences productions.
• Varies; Tuesday to Sunday – 40 to 60 hours per week; some Mondays
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Supervise and assist the Stage Operations Crew in running all backstage duties of Alliance Theatre performances; including running a specific track for shows as assigned by Stage Operations Manager.
• Assist with the load-in, load-out, and repertory change-over of all Alliance Theatre productions, as necessary.
• Ensure that pre-show safety checks are performed on all scenic elements.
• Ensure that all scenic elements are being maintained, functionally and artistically, during the run of Alliance Theatre productions.
• Provide leadership and guidance to the Stage Operations Crew and Additional Labor staff, as needed.
• Assist the Stage Operations Manager and Assistant Manager with the soft good change-over and flying scenery hang from show to show.
• Coordinate and plan the backstage set-up for Stage Management, Props, Costumes, Sound, and Electrics when necessary.
• Appear on stage in costume, as necessary, to shift props/scenery.
• Coordinate with the Stage Operations Manager and the Assistant Stage Operations Manager the inspection and maintenance of the fly system, grid, and stages used by the Alliance Theatre.
• Meet with the Stage Operations Manager, Technical Director, and other Alliance Theatre staff to plan solutions to show challenges, as needed.
• Participate in the successful completion of Rental events as assigned by the Stage Operations Manager.
• Ensure the safe daily operation and use of all Alliance Theatre stages & stage equipment.
• Participate in achieving the artistic goals of the Alliance Theatre.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
• Applicants should have strong knowledge of rigging, carpentry, welding, and experience running automated scenery.
• Experience leading crews is desired.
• Professional Stagehand experience and degree in Theatre are preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Some standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and lifting (at least 75 pounds) is needed.
• Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting and bending, climbing ladders.
• Ability to work from heights (i.e. grids, catwalks, ladders, and genie lifts).
• Workdays may be long and could include long periods of time either sitting or standing.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.