REPORTS TO: Technical Director
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Seasonal /Full-time
The Alliance Theatre is committed to the equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of our work, including play selection, casting, marketing and public relations efforts, education programs, recruitment of staff and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Directors.
The Alliance Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer organization. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, class, religion, country of origin, political belief, (dis)ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any factor protected by law. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
The welder works with the shop foreman and other carpenters to fabricate scenery for each of the Alliance Theatre’s 12 annual productions on our LORT B and D stages, as well as Theatre for Young Audiences shows. The welder needs to demonstrate proficiency in advanced theatrical construction techniques, including aluminum and steel welding, and the ability to work from technical drawings. This position reports to the technical director, assistant technical director, and the shop foreman. Position will remain open until filled.
• Typically Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:30pm, but occasional late nights and weekends are necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Participation in load-ins and strikes.
• Construction of scenery using advanced carpentry and metalworking techniques.
• Assist with heavy loading and unloading during scenery transportation.
• Maintaining excellence in quality and efficiency of work.
• Freelance labor during load-ins and strikes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
• Three years of professional experience as a scenic carpenter is desired, but highly qualified applicants with comparable or less experience may be considered.
• Applicants MUST have significant metalworking experience, including welding both aluminum and steel.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Constant standing, some walking and bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and heavy lifting (at least 75 pounds) is required.
• Some work at heights on ladders and personnel lifts is necessary.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.