Director, Development Operations (Regular/Full-time)
Department: Central Advancement
Reports To: Vice President of Advancement
Employment Status: Regular / Full-Time
Reporting to the Vice President of Advancement and working in close collaboration with the Enterprise Controller, the Director of Development Operations will manage and oversee all day-to-day Development Operations functions, including Donor Services, Financial Services, Donor Relations and Database & Analytics within the Central Advancement functions. This role will collaborate with Art Partners to help refine process improvements for the donor experience. In addition to having a thorough understanding of database best practices and the capacity to train, manage and lead staff, this position will oversee functions including gift entry, donor acknowledgments and pledge billing, revenue reporting, and financial reconciliation.
• Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Supervise and evaluate the work of the Development Operations Team, including accurate gift entry, timely acknowledgement letters, and best-in-class donor service to ensure all processes and functions are operating in a consistent and timely manner.
• Provide leadership regarding policies & procedures for gift entry, gift acknowledgement, and financial reconciliation.
• Collaborate with IT to ensure projects that will improve the functionality of the Tessitura database for Development purposes are completed in a timely manner.
• Manage Donor Services, Donor Relations, Data Analytics with a dotted-line reporting structure to the Financial Services staff.
• Perform special projects and jobs assigned as required.
Specific Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Create a seamless relationship between Donor Services and Development staff to ensure all necessary donor/contribution information is readily available and provided within a timely manner.
• Lead efforts to educate Development staff on database management and facilitate opportunities to expand their involvement in maintaining clean donor records.
• Ensure proper gift entry, including alignment with financial rules and regulations
• Interface closely with Woodruff Finance on critical reporting, including monthly reconciliations, fiscal year-end audit, and other reporting as-needed.
• Manage a centralized donor relations/experience process with the goal of providing a high level of concierge-style service to the Woodruff Arts Center’s best donors.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree minimum. Advanced degree preferred.
• Minimum of 7 years Development Operations experience.
• Knowledge of data management and modern constituency building techniques, including a focus on donor-centricity.
• Demonstrated success in project management, with strong ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously.
Skills and Abilities:
• High proficiency with MS Office (Excel, in particular) and non-profit CRMs (Tessitura preferred).
• Friendly and professional demeanor that helps to create valuable relationships with donors and colleagues.
• Must adapt quickly to changes in daily routine and work well under pressure.
• Highly organized and motivated is essential.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Some standing, walking, bending, frequent use of hands, stooping and light lifting (at least 10 pounds) is needed.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.